A GSM modem can be an external device or a PC Card / PCMCIA Card. Typically, an external GSM modem is connected to a computer through a serial cable or a USB cable. A GSM modem in the form of a PC Card / PCMCIA Card is designed for use with a laptop computer. It should be inserted into one of the PC Card / PCMCIA Card slots of a laptop computer.
Like a GSM mobile phone, a GSM modem requires a SIM card from a wireless carrier in order to operate.
SMS Manager uses the mCore™ ActiveX component from logix (Copyright © IG Logix Softech Pvt Ltd, All Rights Reserved)
SMS Manager has been designed to work with any ETSI GSM 07.05 (Version 7.0.1 Release 1998) compatible GSM modem. Any GSM mobile phone (with suitable serial/USB data cable or Infrared port) that have built in modem and support AT commands can be used with mCore™. Some of the popular GSM modems with which mCore™ has been tested are as follows:
- Falcom: Twist, Swift, Samba 55, Samba 75
- iTegno: WM1080A, WM1080A1I, WM1080A1E, 3000, 3232E, 3232I, 3898
- Multitech: MTCBA-G-UF1, MTCBA-G-UF2
- Nokia: N30, N32, 6100, 6210, 6220, 6310, 6310i, 6820(Bluetooth), 8910
- Siemens: TC35, TC35i, TC45, TC65, MC35, MC35i, MC45, MC55, MC65, MC75, A65, AC75, AC45, C35, C45, M35, M45, S35
- SIMCOM: SIM100S, SIM100T
- Sony Ericsson: T310, T610, T630, T68, T68i, K310, K320, K500, K510, K600, K700, K750i, K800i, V800, W300, W550, W600, W700, W800i, W810, W900, Z1010, GC75, GC79, GC83, GC85, GC89
- Teltonika: T-ModemUSB, T-ModemCOM
- Wavecom: Fastrack M1206B, Fastrack M1306B, Integra, WMOi3
|Note: Most Nokia phone models do not support AT command set directly. To use mCore™ with Nokia phones you may need to install Nokia Data Suite software or the appropriate modem driver driver (if using Infrared port) and select the virtual serial port for communication between mCore™ and Nokia handset.