GSM modem troubleshooting
Why do I get communication error although a GSM Modem/Phone is connected to the serial port?
This can happen due to many factors as given below:
- Ensure that the modem power is switched ON.
- The serial cable used to connect to the phone or modem is not proper. You can verify this by trying to connect to the modem using Windows Hyperterminal and sending AT command to the modem. The modem should respond with a OK
- Although most GSM modems and phones available in the market today have auto-bauding capability i.e. they can automatically adjust their baudrate but it is not the case with all GSM modems and phones. Therefore it is essential to match the baudrate setting of the GSM phone/modem and the baudrate setting of mCore™ object. Communication errors will be triggered if the baudrate setting of the modem/phone is not same as the baudrate setting of mCore™ object. Try with different baudrates (and maybe different parity, databits and stopbits settings).
- If you are connected using Infrared or Bluetooth, through virtual serial port, then ensure that the Infrared port or the Bluetooth device is enabled. Refer your computer hardware manual to know how to enable Infrared port or Bluetooth device feature in your computer. Also you must ensure that you have set the correct value for the Port property. Refer to virtual serial ports section for more details.
How to troubleshoot if messages are not reaching the recipient?
If a message is not reaching its recipient, it could be because of many reasons. To diagnose the exact cause, do the following:
- Check if the SIM card has sufficient credit for sending SMS. Check if you can send SMS manually using the same SIM on a GSM phone.
- Check if the GSM network signal level available in the area where the modem is located, and is stable. Modem information tab
- Check if you are able to send text messages using the demo application delivered with mCore™.
- Check if there is any error while sending the text message using mCore™ (check ErrorCode and ErrorDescription properties).
- Set the DebugMode property to True, to get a popup error message if there is any error.
- If there is no error generated then check if the SMSC property has been set correctly.
- Set the LogType property to value 2 and try sending the message again. If the message is till not going out then analyze the log file entries. Send us a copy of it to help you troubleshoot.
Copyright © 2004 LUTEUS SARL. All rights reserved.
This documentation is copyrighted by LUTEUS SARL. No part of this publication
may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any
form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise,
without the prior express written permission of LUTEUS SARL